Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To London I Go Part Two

I left you hanging somewhere over the North Atlantic, lets fix that.

So, we are going along, I have put away my computer from doing the last post because it is almost out of batteries. I am looking out the window and at the screen with the map on it. 

After another hour as passed, we are getting mighty close to landfall in Ireland. I see us approaching on the map, but with all the cloud, I cant actually see. 

Then, there was this little gap in the clouds and I saw waves and rocks, and I had officially seen Europe for the first time. A picture was impossible as the gap went by too fast to get my camera out. My first opportunity to do so came just a few minutes later.


I was pretty exited. The flight attendants were serving drinks at the time, so everyone else was looking at that, but I was peering out the window, my face pressed to the glass the whole time we were over Ireland. 

Looking down at all the farms I could already tell that it was so different than what I am used too. The towns had no apparent layout, and just had streets going every where. It was pretty cool I have to say.

We then passed the shore again to get over the Irish Sea. From there all the way to London it was totally cloudy so I couldn't see much. The clouds sure looked nice though.


We had to hold for a few minutes, and we mad several circles over the south of England before turning to head towards Heathrow.

The descent into the clouds was quite dramatic, and instantly what had been a very smooth flight became bumpy. There was also the fact that you could not see the wingtips sometimes.


Bye the time we hit the clouds, we had descended to about 8 thousand feet, so we were not in them for too long. Pretty soon, I could see England out the window.


Just seconds later, we touched down, and we were in Europe. Pretty cool feeling I must say.


We taxied off the runway and had to hold for a few minutes as a string of departures prevented us from crossing the other runway to get to terminal four.

We had arrived on time despite leaving an hour late, holding in the air, and holding on the ground, and we disembarked fairly fast. I snapped this picture of the machine that took all the passengers 6600km across the Atlantic Ocean.


The airport was fairly deserted, so there was hardly any lineups at all. I went through customs and border control, got my pack, and went out of security. I was officially on English soil.

Feeling thirsty, and needing change for the tube, I bought some water at the store, then headed down many stairs to the Underground.


I am going to leave off this post now, and start another with pictures from walking around London.

No comments:

Post a Comment